Our Statement in Support of Black Lives Matter
- Starting on June 19th, we commit to centering the stories of Black business owners in our community on social media and other communications in honor of Juneteenth. We typically center the voices of LGBTQ+ entrepreneurs in June to celebrate Pride Month, and we will continue that work, because it is not mutually exclusive. Stay tuned for a list of businesses to support!
- We will continue the work of our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Team. This essential work is a part of our 2019-2020 strategic plan, and our goal is to reform our internal procedures and external communications to better serve people of color.
- We also commit to asking tough questions during the remainder of the year, when we are planning our strategic plan for 2021 and beyond:
- How can Ventures support and help other organizations that are experts and serve this community well?
- How can we include Ventures entrepreneurs and staff in larger conversations about what Ventures can do to serve aspiring POC entrepreneurs?
Ventures is a Seattle-based nonprofit that empowers aspiring entrepreneurs with limited resources and unlimited potential. We provide access to business training, capital, coaching, and hands-on learning opportunities for entrepreneurs. We serve those in our community for whom traditional business development services are out of reach, with a focus on women, people of color, immigrants, and individuals with low income. Our ultimate goal is to support individuals to increase their income potential, achieve long-term financial stability, provide for their families, and enrich their communities through small business ownership.
Since its founding, Ventures has provided over $1.4 million to help low-income entrepreneurs launch more than 2,500 businesses across Washington State. The typical Ventures entrepreneur supports a family of two on $22,267 upon enrollment, and 63 percent of Ventures entrepreneurs move out of poverty within two years.